St. Joseph is becoming a hot spot for destination weddings and as the Shadowland Ballroom’s clientel grows to reach new corners of the country, we would like to help those guests traveling by steering them to the best accommodations offered in town.
The closest accommodation to Shadowland is the Boulevard Inn which is ideally nestled atop the bluff. With newly remodeled all-suite accommodations, the Boulevard offers breathtaking views of Lake Michigan and Silver Beach, as well as the perfect location to visit the quaint shops of Downtown St. Joseph.
When originally deciding on a wedding date, Samantha and Scott never intended for a winter wedding. However, after being given an amazing opportunity to serve in an orphanage and school in Malawi beginning in Spring 2014, the couple moved their wedding date from May 31, 2014 to December 31, 2013. This date change did not dissuade from any other wedding plans though, rather it increased the overall image the two shared for their special day.
The couple were married amid the beautiful stained glass windows of the same church that the bride’s parents were married. The church’s Christmas decorations added a festive touch for the perfect setting. Samantha wore a beaded lace gown with a chapel train and veil headpiece. Scott looked dapper in a black tux paired with white shirt, tie, and vest. The couple’s love for one another and for God was apparent as friends of the couple played key roles during the service’s worship through singing and special speeches.
There are a lot of imporant questions circling your mind now that you’ve said “Yes!”
What venue should my ceremony and/or reception be held?
Which caterer should I go with?
Which DJ will be most interactive?
Well, to assist you in your endeavors, we have found a great system to help you with another important decision: who should I ask to be my bridesmaids?
The most obvious question is how many attendants to ask and who should be your maid/matron of honor. A new trend in the wedding scene is an increase in bridal party members. While it is important that you include those people to whom you feel closest, the etiquette is to limit the party to 12. Also consider how many people can fit on either side of you while you’re standing at the altar. Ideally, the same number of attendants on both sides looks best, but there is no rule that says they have to match.
Below the bluffs of downtown St. Joseph, Michigan, hugging both the Lake Michigan shoreline and the St. Joseph River lays an area where carnival music was once heard, merry-go-round carousel horses galloped in place, a rollercoaster roared, and Charleston dancers strutted their stuff.
The St. Joseph area was a hotspot for boaters. Canoes, rowboats, and riverboats provided scenic tours from St. Joseph to Berrien Springs. Logan Drake, owner of a boat livery on the St. Joseph River saw a higher calling of tourism in the area and began looking at ways to draw more people to the less-popular beaches of St. Joseph.
As every couple is special and unique, we at Shadowland feel you deserve your time to shine even after your Big Day has come and gone. With that being said, we would love to feature your Shadowland wedding or Southwest Michigan beach engagement in our Real Weddings section!
If you would like your story or picture(s) to be considered for publication, you (or your photographer) can send color or B&W images to Ashley at email@example.com.
Featured weddings generally have occurred in the Shadowland Ballroom within the past year. This may include Silver Beach Carousel, Whirlpool Fountain, and Silver Beach Park photographs as well. Engagement sessions are asked to have been taken in Southwest Michigan. Ideally the engagement photographs include a few beach shots (whether they be on Silver, Tiscornia, Weko, or any other SWMI beach), but other local locations (Downtown St. Joseph, Benton Harbor’s Art District, various vineyards, etc.) are welcomed! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask Ashley.
I woke up this morning to sunshine and birds chirping, and thought to myself: how beautiful would a morning like this be for a wedding? The idea of hosting a breakfast or brunch wedding is becoming more popular. The morning wedding isn’t a new invention, though, but was actually pretty normal a few decades ago. I don’t know if it’s the retro-craze trending these last few years, or the vintage feel morning weddings seem to hold, but here are a few reasons to consider having your wedding at sunrise!
- Usually morning weddings end before or by 3’o’clock in the afternoon, so the possibilities of what to do after the Big Event are virtually endless! Drive away from your reception and enjoy the rest of the day in the company of your new spouse. I mean, you just got married because you love spending time together, right? Morning weddings give you lots of time to hang out together, married, on your wedding day. (Plus you’ll wake up sober and with no hangovers!) Or you can get a jumpstart on your honeymoon and arrive at your destination before your wedding day is even over!
- Who doesn’t love breakfast/brunch food? Or an excuse to drink champagne and mimosas? Unlike an evening ceremony which usually calls for dinner or heavy appetizers, a morning wedding leans toward light fare. Most people simply aren’t that hungry early in the day. Plan a delicious menu that will wow your guests, whether you want a buffet or a formal sit-down meal. Think craft-your-own-waffle, an omelet station, or pancakes topped with strawberries and whipped cream, hickory smoked bacon and fresh squeezed juice as simple, yet elegant menu choices.
- Your vendors will love you, because it is so rare for them to be able to work and have a weekend evening off. Sometimes vendors will even provide discounts for non-traditional timed weddings, so there’s a BIG positive!
- That hard-to-achieve-but-beyond-beautiful venue location might be available at an earlier time during the day. Many area open to the public (such as botanical gardens, beaches, and parks) are only available in the mornings to allow for the public.
- You have to wake up early. Like, really early. On your wedding day. Also, your pre-wedding morning will be rushed, there is no way around that. So extra planning for your prep work will be in order.
- Consider your guests, especially those who live two hours away. They’ll have to get up very early to make it to your wedding. In the long run, I’m sure they’ll have a blast, but they might be questioning your sanity as they’re traveling in the wee hours of the morning before the sun even rises.
In other thoughts…
I’ve heard it voiced that morning weddings don’t allow for as much fun as a later wedding, but there is no reason why a morning wedding should prevent that! For those still wishing for a dance ceremony, by the time a ten o’clock ceremony and eleven o’clock brunch is wrapped up, it will be after noon, perfectly acceptable for a DJ and dancing. For those wishing to provide drinks for their guests, a mimosa bar, champagne, Bloody Mary’s, and other morning concoctions (think fruit juice mixes) are more than acceptable for breakfast soirées. In addition, come up with some fun and engaging activities such as croquet, badminton, or other lawn games.
We all know the traditional wedding photos that every couple who wed need to take: the family photos, the bride with her parents, the groom with his family, etc.
But what about those amazing photos that only the sands, sunsets, and unique backdrops of Silver Beach can help you capture for your big day? Whether it be great beach colors, the visible excitement of wedded couples, or the utilization of nature’s beauty, Silver Beach is a great destination for your wedding photographs. Here are 11 of our favorite photographs taken right on the Lake Michigan shore in St. Joseph, Michigan:
Rose gold is in, and I am in love. Boutique jewelry designers have confirmed that rose gold has been resurrected and is one of the most popular requests for engagement rings and wedding bands. Blake Lively set the trend when she tied the knot with Ryan Reynolds. The media went wild over her reportedly $2 million sparkler. The custom made engagement ring is a 12 carat oval cut diamond set in rose gold.
With the soft blush color of the metal, it is no wonder this color is quickly gaining speed in popularity. It’s appealing on many different skintones. It has a lovely the vintage appeal. Plus there’s the fact that it’s a little more exclusive. However, if you decide to go with the metal of the moment, consider selecting a more traditional setting for your engagement ring or wedding band to ensure your bling stays timeless.
Bring your celebration to the shores of Lake Michigan!
You want a special location for the wedding you are planning. Shadowland on Silver Beach is that special place for no other year-round reception and meeting venue in Southwestern Michigan is so close to Lake Michigan.
Footsteps from Silver Beach, Shadowland offers you a picturesque backdrop of glistening water, crimson sunsets, a quaint lighthouse and Victorian-era downtown. It is a beautiful destination all four seasons.
Newly constructed, this place near the beach welcomes your intimate gathering for 50 to a lavish affair for 300 guests. It’s simple, yet elegant décor lets you create the ambience you want for your wedding. Shadowland’s unique Silver Beach Center offerings let you entertain your guests with beverages on the Sunset Patio overlooking the lighted Whirlpool Compass Fountain, with rides on the magnificent, hand-carved Silver Beach Carousel or with the opportunity to explore Curious Kids’ Discovery Zone. This is your place for making memories.